Thursday, November 13, 2008

I can't believe it

I can't believe it but I've become a fabric snob. I would have never thought it possible but it's happened. I went through life buying fabric from Joann's. I bought fabric from WalMart and now I'm a fabric snob.

Tonight for the first time in ages I went into a Joann's. I haven't bought fabric there since way before I started working at the quilt store. I think the last fabric I bought from there was probably a year or more ago. While I was shopping with Jen we went into the store looking for styrofoam trees but that's a whole different post. I can't believe how small the quilting department has become in our store. We looked around and I realized that I'm a snob an out and out fabric snob. I don't buy alot of fabric but what I did purchase comes from quilt stores. I love the feel of the fabrics, the colors, the quality. When did all this happen to me? Thinking about it I haven't even purchased thread there in a very long time. Now it's not that I have tons of money. It's just the opposite I have to really watch my spending so I buy fabric for specific projects. I lusted over a fabric kit for about two months while I saved up to buy it. Now I look at it and it's so pretty I'm afraid to cut into it but I will.

Now before anyone gets their feathers ruffled I'm not cutting anyone who purchases fabric in places other than quilt stores. But since I've been using better fabrics I really do notice the difference. It's unreal how times change a person. I've made so many quilts with fabrics from other places. They are still holding up great.

Has anyone else had this revalation? Oh and while we were looking around we came across some great fleece that would have made great lounge pants but then I started thinking the huge candy canes just wouldn't look that great across my butt. The fleece stayed in the store. Wow what a night it's been.

8 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Candy canes across your but?!? I'm sure that would of made for a great video post...LOL.

Moneik said...

I'm right there with you Cindy! I buy less, for specific projects, and limit what I spend, but my quality has significantly improved since I started using better quality fabrics. I think the only thing I have bought for fabric at other stores is fleece. My change came when a great quilt shop opened up close to me and I could finally find what I wanted.

Three Birds Inspired said...

I hear you, gal! I have been an admitted fabric snob since very near the beginning of my quilting life. I am not saying that ALL the quilt fabric carried in quilt shops is the best. We all know that there can be some pretty crummy stuff in there too. However, when you compare the weight and the "hand" of most of the fabric in quilt stores, you just know it is better fabric. I still use Joann fabric for things like wall hangings, tote bags, etc. but not for quilts that I am going to use or give as a gift. I also realize that for some folks, that is all that is available to them and maybe all that they can afford. I am not knocking anyone for their purchases there. I am just saying that it isn't what I choose to use. I am extemely thankful that I live in an area that good quilt fabric is available for less than $7 a yard!

Regina said...

I want to see the candy canes, too!

I buy what I like and what works for the current project- sometimes in quilt shops, sometimes online, sometimes in the "big box stores" -

Bethany said...

Yeah, I admit to be being a fabric snob. Even my husband has turned into one which is hilarious. He's worse than I am! I still need to order the flannel backing for his quilt as he decided JoAnn just wasn't good enough for him.

Karen said...

Oh yeah, I am right there with you. Here's a good story. My new dil wanted me to make some little round coaster type things for under houseplants. She saw the fabric that she wanted me to use at Jo---. Okay, I go and buy the fabric. I bring it home and wash it. I never add softener because it is an old habit of mine that has to do with fusing fabric. Anyway, I hang it to dry (so it doesn't get all tangled). I start to press this fabric and I notice my iron won't glide. I look and see there is all kinds of crud on the bottom of my iron. Not knowing if it was there before, I clean my iron. I start to iron again and the same thing happens. I don't know what the heck was in the fabric, but it kept leeching this stuff onto my iron until the project was done. After I gave the finished projects to my dil, I asked her if she wanted the leftover fabric. She said no and it immediately went into the trash. I certainly don't want it getting mixed up in my stash!!

Jen said...

Karen's story sounds like something that would happen to me. Like that glittery junk. I too have become a snob and I hate having pieces mixed into my stash cause it's like the older stuff is ok, the newer J-store stuff is horrid. I've been using what I have for backings on the door hangings or holiday wallhangings I make because the odds of me actually washing that stuff is pretty slim and no one ever sees it since it's on the back.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I am also a fabric snob. I still have Joann's fabric that I will use, but I keep it separate from the good fabric and they won't be mixed in a quilt top!