Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My fur friend is gone




For those of you who know me you'll understand what this post means to me. Last night my fur child Murphy had to be put down. He was in congestive heart failure and since it is very common in his breed I had to put him down.


Murphy came into my life 7 years ago. I had been wanting to get another dog and I was on the web one Saturday morning and searching the dog pounds. Up popped this cute picture of Murphy and it was puppy love at first sight. The rest is history and we've been together ever since. He filled my heart and my heart and my home with unconditional love. Almost two years ago he was diagnosed with Diabetes. This was a shock to all of us but we got through it and he was such a trooper. We got on a regular schedule of feeding and insulin injections. Needless to say I watched him like a hawk.

He had a rough weekend so I called and got him into the vet last night. Luckily my son inlaw, Mike met me there and later Jen came. To make a long story short they did x rays and discovered he was in congestive heart failure. There was no hope for a recovery so the decision was made to end his suffering and put him down. I know that someday he'll be waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge. But for now it's no more twice daily injections and he can eat whatever he wants to. Give all of your fur kids a hug today in memory of mine, Murphy.





21 comments:

CatQuilter said...

Cindy,
So sorry to learn about Murphy. I know through your posts and Jen's blog how very attached you were to him. Murphy had a wonderful life thanks to you and your life was definitely enriched by sharing it with that very special dog. Sending you an extra big cyber hug today and keeping you in my prayers.If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hugs,
Cathy

Three Birds Inspired said...

I know that you are heartbroken. Please know that I am thinking about you.
Best,
Suzan

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Honey! I am so sorry for your loss! I wish that I had been able to meet him when I was up. He was very lucky to have you and you were very lucky to have had him! I'm happy that you were able to have as much time with him as you got. My thoughts are with you!

Love, Jill

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always difficult losing a furry friend.

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Snip,
I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy. I know how much you loved that puppy. Christine

Michelle said...

Cindy,
I am so sorry that you lost Murphy. Take comfort in knowing that he had a wonderful life because of you, and know that he knew he was loved unconditionally. He lived his life in the best place he ever could have. I am so happy that I got a chance to know Murphy. He was such a sweetie.

I know this has to be a tremendously hard time for you. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs from Louie and I.
Michelle

Maureen said...

Cindy:

I am so sorry about Murphy! He was a wonderful dog and you loved him whole heartedly. I know you will miss him and I will keep you in my thoughts. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Hugs,
Maureen

Karen said...

Snip, I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy. We mysteriously lost our Morgan 4 months ago and it still hurts to look at her picture. I can sooo relate to how you are feeling right now. Take comfort in the fact that you provided Murph with everything a dog could ever want. Hang in there kiddo. Hugs.

Sandi said...

Cindy,
I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to loose such a friend. Take care

Gina said...

I'm so sorry Cindy.
Making that decision is the hardest thing you'll ever do. I know when we had to have Ozzy put to sleep after 13 years of loyal companionship both Mal and I were devestated. I know it was the best thing for her as she had doggy Alzhiemers but it didn't make it easier. the next few weeks will be difficult as things will constantly remind you of Murphy. I thought I was cping well until I found a biscuit of hers under the sofa and that reduced me to floods of tears. I'm glad Jen and Mike were there with you as it's not something you should have to go through alone.
My thoughts are with you

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Chris Daly said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

Straitcrazy0308 said...

Cindy,
I am so sorry to hear of Murphy's death.
I lost my beloved dog of 16 years Nov 21.
Murphy and you will be together again some day.
So Sorry
Ellen

Unknown said...

My condolences, Cindy. Will be thinking of you.

hetty said...

My condolences to you, Cindy, for the loss of your dear Murphy. It is not easy to lose a furry member of the family. Thinking of you and sending you cyber hugs.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Cindy. You know you gave him a wonderful life and he gave you love and companionship. Try to remember all the good times together. You are in my thoughts!
Regina

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I know its late but I have been thinking about you alot lately. I am sorry for your loss and know that you will have alot of happy memories that will last a life time

Heather

Ohio Quilter said...

soory to hear about your loss. I'm sure he is glad to have you as an owner & gave him the best life ever. Many prayers

Cindy said...

Cindy - Not only did Murphy enrich your life - but believe in your heart that you did the same for him. He found a special person when you and he connected.

Let Murphy's memories always put a smile on your heart.

pwl said...

Hugs. We lost our furbaby Jasper last October. He was a lovely, big hearted cat, who had been diabetic for 9 of his almost 14 years. His liver finally failed, and it was his time. You gave Murphy many wonderful years of love and TLC, and he will be with you in spirit always.

Kathy ~~~ said...

I just came across your blog.....
So sorry about Murphy. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. I cried. He gets insulin injections twice a day. Kahlu, who is 7yo, is a real trooper when it comes to the shots. I know he doesn't like them. My daughter and I give them to him. He is developing cataracts. Just the thought of losing him brings tears to my eyes. I can't imagine him not being here. Hugs to you. Kathy