Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What I did on my long weekend









I can't believe the long holiday weekend is over with and I had to go back to work today. I decided that this weekend I would do the things that I wanted to do and things that would make me happy. After running a few errands on Saturday I got down to some serious quilting.




Quite a while ago I picked up a jelly roll that was called "Strawberry Lemonade". What a great roll of fun loving bright fabrics. I have been trying to figure out what to use it on and I can across a pattern that was called "Split Decision" where you use light and dark fabrics. I made the mistake of trying to use my beloved jelly roll. Oh it had brights and darks in it but they weren't the right contrast for the pattern. Once I made all of the blocks and laid them out it made your eyes go crazy. That poor quilt needed help or I was going to be sitting on a 40 blocks and no where to go with them. I decided the only way to salvage the quilt was to put white lattice between the blocks and between the rows. Thank goodness that work and now I'm a happy camper again. All I need to do now is pick up border and binding fabrics to finish it off. OK this is the second time I'm adding these pictures and now matter where I click they always end up at the top. The pattern went together really quick I'd say it took maybe a little over an hour to make all 40 blocks. Next time I make this I'll try definite lights and darks and limit the patterns. Atleast now I have a nice and bright "summer" quilt.


With that finished I moved on to a pattern that I had picked up at Franks Sewing Center. The pattern is for a 4 sided placemat. I waited about 2 or 3 months for this pattern to come in so I was anxious to try it. The whole idea is you make one placemat but it has 4 very different sides. It wasn't hard once Jen and I figured it out. I used a total of 4 fat quarters that I had just so I could try it out first. Now that it worked I can't wait to make a set of placemats and I think I'll use different holiday fabrics for the 4 sides.






14 comments:

Hazel said...

I think every thing looks wonderful the quilt turned out really well but I don't understand your 4 sided placemats LOL ??? My pictures always go on the top also I just drag then to the bottom or where ever I want them .

Jen said...

I still think that placemat thing is way cool. I've got to think of the right fabrics to make a set. Hmmm, maybe a winter, spring, summer, fall type deal. I really like the quilt with the sashing...it's so awesome! You should bring it along tomorrow when you come to Patched Works for the Market Report to see what you want to use.

For the pictures you click it and hten you have to drag it down to where you want it. Or, upload a bunch and then click to where you want to go and then do your typing.

Gina said...

I love the quilt. I like the idea of the place mats aswell, I'll have to look out for that pattern.

love and hugs xxx

Three Birds Inspired said...

You were busy!! Darling quilt and I love your placemats. I keep thinking that I will get more quilting done on the weekend but I never seem to get ahead!

Michelle said...

I LOVE that quilt pattern! I don't quite get the placemats either, but I'm slow, so don't mind me! Glad you got some sewing done this weekend. I was lazy, and non-motivated, and didn't get ANYTHING done. I've missed you! Glad to hear from you!
Michelle

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You sure got a lot done and they are all beautiful. I love that quilt pattern and it's so happy and cheerful!
Regina

Carla said...

Great quilt! I love the white sashing because it makes it looks so fresh and pretty. What we think of as a mistake is sometimes the best thing that could happen. I don't get the 4 sided thing...but I like them!

Amelia said...

I take it the placemats are the type where you leave an opening and turn them wrong side out to show the other two sides. If so, that would be real creative. I love placemats and use them all the time.

The picture thing sometimes gives me a hard time too...clicking and dragging works sometimes for me and other times...no way.

Of well, we can't be smart in everything in this computer world, right? One reason we have daughters that can help us in that dept...right?

Amelia in Oklahoma

Regina said...

Love that quilt - so fresh and light. And the placemats are fun!!

Moneik said...

Oh I love the quilt! It looks so light and airy! You got so much done this weekend! I love the placemats, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around how they work. You'll have to let us know what the pattern is called. Glad to see you blogging again. We've missed you.

Anonymous said...

Nope, I don't get how the placemats work either, but the fabrics are great! And the quilt is lovely, very cherry!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I think that the quilt looks awesome! I am still trying to wrap my head around a 4 sided placemat....

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I love your quilt I have charm squares of the same fabric I just couldn't resist. Any can't wait to see more of the placemats. Some day I'll get to making some of that stuff for my self

Heather

Unknown said...

What a great way to "fix" your block problem. Good job! I love that look. I join the rest of the group in wondering just how the placemats work? lol