Friday, December 19, 2008

10 year old UFO is finally done

Ten years ago I went to my first quilt retreat. This was with a great bunch of ladies that I had met on line and they were getting together for one week to sew. I could only take a long weekend but I went. We were told there would be a mystery quilt if we wanted to make it and how much fabric to buy. I'd never done one before so didn't know what to expect. We were also only to buy 4 fabrics that went together. I gathered up everything and off I went. I had a great time. We laughed and talked more than we actually sewed. In the end this is what my mystery quilt turned out to be. I hated it. I have no idea what the pattern was called and if I had known what it was going to look like I would have chosen different fabrics.
All of these years it sat as a finished top in my sewing cabinet. Every now and then I'd pull it out and look at it and say to Jen how much I hated it. I think a couple of times I tried to toss it out and she kept putting it back. So, this year for Christmas she is quilting a bunch of my UFO's for me. Three things came back to me last night and this is the first one. After 10 years I still had one of the fabrics so I could use it for a binding. Today I put on the binding and I absolutely love it now. When I first gave it to her to quilt I told her dog Holly that it would be her quilt. Now, no way I'll make Holly a different quilt. Would I do a mystery quilt again, NO. If I'm going to put the time and money into a quilt I want to know what it's going to look like before I start it. I think it is going to be used as a table quilt for my dining room table.





1 comment:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Congrats on the finish! It looks really pretty and festive. I like mystery quilts - but only if I can cheat and see what it will be in the end. I do that with mystery novels too. Maybe I don't like anything too mysterious???!!