Thursday, December 4, 2008

Murphy Update

Most of you who have read my blog on a regular basis know that my fur child is Murphy. Murphy was diagnosed as a diabetic almost two years ago and this has been quite a learning experience. Once we got him initially stabalized things have gone along smoothly. OK until this past Sunday. All was well early in the morning and then all of a sudden he wobbled and down he went. I reacted very quickly and called the ER clinic. I told them his history and they told me to bring him in ASAP. Next call was to Jen and Mike for help. They came a running and we got him up and in the car thanks to Mike and then Jen and I took him to the ER. Let me just talk a little about the pet ER. What a fantastic place. There are times when I wish I had doctors who were as nice as the ones for our pets. The girls came out with the guerney and got him out of the car for us and in he went. Jen and I had to wait in the waiting room for a little while but they kept us updated. His glucose level was down to 38. That is dangerously low. I'm just greatful that I was home and able to take him in right away or I don't think I'd still have my fur child with me. They decided that they needed to keep him to monitor him and they would keep me informed. They did everything they said they would and then more. I got a phone call from the vet every couple of hours with his updates. It was then decided that they would keep him overnight to monitor him more. Everyone knows that Murphy suffers from severe seperation anxiety so this wasn't going to be an easy thing. Later we found out they sedated him so he wouldn't hurt himself and so that he'd be able to get some rest. I sure wish I was sedated I was worried sick about him and didn't sleep at all that night. By 5 the next morning I was on the phone with them for an update. He was doing much better and they had removed the glucose IV around midnight and he has slept. Oh sure he got some sleep. Later while I was getting ready for work the vet called me with her update. He was stable and ready to be discharged. Being that it was the first day back to work after the holiday I had to go to work or loose two days holiday pay. I hate that it always comes down to money in this world. It was a very long day at work until I could leave and pick up Jen so she could go with me. He was so happy to be home but was really mad at me. He has since forgiven me and we've made up. My next problem was he didn't want to eat and that for a diabetic isn't good. So today I took off of work early and took him to his own vet. I'm happy to anounce that this is just a little glitch in life and all is well. His glucose is now at 58 and we're going to experiment with food and insulin. This dog already can't make a move without me knowing it and now I'll have him under a microscope.

I just want to thank my daughter Jen and my son in law Mike for all of their help and support. They were going to host a Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday for friends and they called it off because of him. I spent most of the day with them cuddling with my granddogter Holly. It didn't dawn on me until the next day that Sunday was the anniversary of the day we had to put our special Sherman down. No wonder my daughter was so weepy. I think Sherman was definetly watching over Murphy, Thanks Sherman.

Murphy and I want to send out our thanks to all of you who care.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey cindy! I'm so glad Murphy is okay! That animal hospital is great! I believe it's the same one we took Tucker to when he had a gash in his side. Hope to see you soon!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Glad to hear in these trying times as they are that some good has come to someone who really deserves it!!!

Jen said...

Yep...that's why I was extra weepy. I just want my little buddy to be healthy and happy again. Miss B will have to visit him.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

OH, I am so glad that he is feeling better! I am sure that you were a wreck! I know I would have been.

Jennifer said...

So glad that Murphy is home and doing better.

Regina said...

So glad to hear this has a happy ending. Good furbabies are important in this world!

Karen said...

Glad to hear Murphy is back on his paws!

Bethany said...

I'm so glad he's doing better.

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

Hi Cindy, thank you for the nice birthday wish, that is so sweet of you. So glad that Murphy is doing better.