In my family we have a yearly Amarillis growing competition this time of year. This started a few years back and it was a ton of fun. You've all probably seen the bulbs in the stores at this time of year. Around here you can usually pick up a bulb, dirt and a pot for around $4.99. So on a set date whoever wants to enter plants their bulbs and then we wait to see whose flowers open first, how many flowers you get and how tall your plant is. This year the set date to plant was Nov.22. I picked up my bulb at our Target and spent a little more this year because I wanted the heavy ceramic pot. I spent $9.99 instead of the $4.99 thinking then next year I can buy the cheaper one because I'll have the better pot. I waited for the day to come and planted my bulb. I watered my plant only to see that my pot was cracked in a couple of places and it leaked like a sieve. So much for the ceramic pot.
It grew like wild. Last night I took it's picture and posted it for the family to see. Mine is 23.5 inches tall and I have 4 big flowers on it. It's white with pink running through it. This is much better than last years that had great greenery but not a single flower. I haven't seen pictures of anyone elses yet. It's a fun thing to do with family and friends, think about giving it a try next year.


3 comments:
I was hoping you's were going to do this on your blogs again this year. I'd bought a bulb anticipating the start date and never heard. Oh well, perhaps next year.
Gorgeous!
I love this idea...........
might try this over here in Australia................
thanks sounds like a lot of fun...
would love to do it with you guys but our seasons are not the same
Post a Comment