Yesterday got off to a great start sewing wise. I completed one of my BOM's until I measured it and I was 1/2 inch off. Earlier in the day I had been using Jen's machine since mine was still on the frame and I told her to keep it on there and just go ahead and quilt a quilt she wanted to get done. No problem since the machines are the same. So I sat down and put the binding on my shower curtain. Pictures later once I get out and get hooks and hang it. It turned out great. Anyway back to the block. I didn't reset the foot and my seams were too big. This block had all kinds of 1/2 square triangles and other pieces in it so I started the redo part. Now if I had been making this block for myself I'd have just gone ahead and recut and been done with it but each month we get the fabric for the specific block. I ripped and sewed, ripped and sewed somemore. In all that stupid block took me six hours. I was so tired I could hardly see staight anymore but I was determined to get it done. Once that one was done and measured the exact size I went on to make another BOM just to prove that not all of them are awful to make. I got home after midnight from Jen's.
We had a great 4th of July sewing away the time. Mike got a new grill the day before so he kept us in grilled foods and they were great. We even had smores later at night. What fun that was. I tend to like to let my marshmellows flame up because I get impatient. When Jen was little we used to march in our local parade all the time and when it was over you got an ice cream at the end. Yesterday after the local parade was done or I figured it was done we had ice cream as a trip down memory lane. Our whole day too was to keep Holly happy since she's afraid of firecrackers and fireworks noise. They give her Benadryl to keep her calm and yesterday it worked great.
The block with all the pieces is the one that kicked my butt. My favorite picture from yesterday is the one with Holly hiding behind the batting while her Mom quilts a top. The picture of Holly puin the bathroom is priceless. She heard some bottle rockets go off and in there she ran. In the end they put one of her blankies on the floor and she slept for hours. Now they need to put a sign on the door officially making it " Holly's fall out shelter".


7 comments:
This must have been the weekend for frustrations, because I sure had my share trying to make that table topper. Now I'm thinking of making one with floral fabric. That should give it a neat look.
That's exactly why I did not sew this weekend - too tired to see straight.
It's easy to see where Jen got her sense of humor. It's a great looking block and I can't wait to see the shower curtain.....
Regina
YOu goof, it wasn't a 1/2 inch off...that we could have dealt with. It was measuring 11 inches and it should have measured 12-1/2!!
Well sometimes we just have to go back and start over! So happy to hear you were persistant and didn't let it get the best of you. I can't believe how many hours you have in already! You're gonna make your goal!
Don't you hate when that happens. Arghhh. Beautiful block though.
I had to groan in sympathy about your too-large seam troubles (nevertheless, the block came out great!). I just bought a new sewing machine with an adjustable needle position and am TERRIFIED that I will forget to move the needle to the center when making 1/4" seams. If I don't move the needle the seams will be 3/8" and everything will be toast. Maybe I need to put a Post-it on the machine that says "Needle position - needle position!!!!" The cat would probably just tear up the Post-it - or eat it. LOL
Post a Comment