Tuesday, October 16, 2007

PJ Day

Yesterday when I was reading the blogs I read Nancy Rose's blog and was very jealous because she declared today PJ Day. All I could think of was gee I wanted to be home too and spend the day in my jammies. But, no, I had to get up today and go to work. Well let me tell you what happened.

I got to work as usual today and there was hardly anyones cars in the parking lot. OK so maybe that wasn't too strange then I noticed that the building was completely dark. We've been on a huge money saving kick lately so this didn't seem strange to me. I mean the street lights were all on. I got up to the door and my electronic key didn't work. Hmmmmmm and my boss Bill opened the door for me with a flashlight in his hands. We had lost all power to our building. It wasn't an Electric company problem it was our problem the main feed to our building had burned up. Now for a food manufacturing facility any time without power isn't good. I knew right away this meant big trouble. We'd have all of our tanks in the plant with product in them. Some need to be kept at certain temperatures for heating and others need to be drummed off once they reach a certain temperature for cooling. I had trucks coming and going all day. So here we were and no power. The electricians were already there and maintenance had been there all night. 3rd shift had been sent home and first shift had been called and told not to come. I was given a flashlight so I could see and off to my desk I went. Manned with phone numbers and what I had going on today I spent time on my cell phone calling and cancelling things. By then it was finally getting light out so we all gathered in the cafeteria to figure out what to do next. Two 1st shifters for production came in because they weren't able to reach them. We held a meeting and all departments went over where they stood and figured out what was critical. After that it was determined the office could go home. I had a reefer truck on it's way to back into the dock and wait for product to be drummed and stored in it. We have a huge freezer but without power they didn't want to open and close that door all day. One really huge generator was already on it's way so that we'd be able to bring up part of the plant so the two guys who came in could drum off product. I felt sorry for them because they were it for the plant. Home I came and I had all intentions of either studying or sewing. Didn't happen that way. In a way I got my Jammies day. OK so I was dressed for work but I did end up on the couch and I just woke up from a lovely 5 hour nap. Thank you Nancy Rose for the great PJ day.
Tomorrow I'll do it all over again and go in and see if we have power. This could be a 24 to 48 hour venture. The good news is it's Tuesday and that means it's "movie night" at the budget theatre.

3 comments:

Jen said...

You took a NAP???!?!!?!?!!?

Moneik said...

Wow that sounds like a great way to have a day at home. I wish that happened to us. For me it is when the network is down, we are useless without it.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I can't believe that you went home and slept!!! I would've been at that machine stitching my fingers to the bone!!

I am jealous though because I probably could've used a PJ day yesterday, too!