Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Eve

In my family it was always a tradition to get together and do Thanksgiving Eve. The older grandkids would go to my parents house and spend the night so they would be there bright and early to help Grandpa with the stuffing and the turkey. This went on for many many years and the tradition died along with my Dad. Last night the tradition was started up again at my brother Bob's house. He now has two young granddaughters and it was time to start again. There weren't as many of us there but a good time was had by all.

We make what they refer to as "cannon balls". What they are is a potatoe dumpling about the size of a hard ball with a piece of dried toasted bread in the middle and then they are boiled until they are done. Let me just say that in my 55 years I have never eaten more than a bite of those things they just aren't for me. Last night I helped mix and make them and then I was in charge of the boiling of them. I did this while others worked on the stuffing which is what we refer to as a secret family recipe. In all we made 45 CANNON BALLS and a huge roasting pan full of stuffing. We all sat around the kitchen table reminissing and I actually ate a cannon ball. OK it doesn't have much taste to it. A little gravy would help it out alot. If I was to make those I'd be adding a little onion maybe a little garlic just something to give them flavor other than just potatoe. Alot of fun was had and we all went home with a dish of stuffing and of course a couple of cannon balls.
While we were in the house it snowed last night. Jen and I came out and of course I had to clean off the car for the first of many times for this winter. There's something about that first snow fall when that huge snow flake goes right in your ear that makes me remember why I hate snow.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of my quilting family. Is anyone going out to shopping tomorrow??????

No comments: