Last night Jen and I went to our local quilt store Patched Works and took a completer class. You could bring anything you wanted and they had people there to help you out. I've always had trouble joining my binding. It has always turned out lumpy and I don't like the looks of it. So last night I took along some project linus quilts that I had the binding partially spiewn on so I could learn the right way.
I now finally got it and I can't even tell where it is I joined the two pieces together. It was also costume night there. I went as a tomato pincushion. I took a red swet shirt and put on all kinds of safety pins all over it. Then I put some thread on some of them because I aways have needles on mine with thread on them. I had a red head band and I took a piece of solid green fabric and tied it around with a bow on the top and stuck some pins in that too. Jen was a runner for breast cancer and her theme was runs with scissors. She was adorable. The shop owner Julie had the best costume of all. She made a sock monkey suit. It was fantastic. I'm just sorry I forgot to take my camera. I think Jen took pictures so I hope she posts some. Julie's Mom was the queen of pillowcases. She took Moda fabric and made herself a giant pillowcase. Now atleast I have a great idea for next year. Lots of fun was had and we got to pick a goodie bag for wearing a costume and I got 20% off of a purchase.
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
So, can you tell us how to do it?? I tried for the first time last weekend joining a binding I had put on a quilt - it worked pretty well, but I wonder if the directions I followed are the best around. I got them from this website - http://www.synthcom.com/~val/vcq/tutorials/VCQTutorial_MakeAndAttachBinding.pdf - pages 8-11 (steps 20-31). Does this look like what you did??
It was a good idea you had to take several to work on while you had someone to help you.
Sounds like you had a great time at the shop. I love binding, now that I know how to do it the easy way.
I looked up the website Nancy was talking about, and that pdf file is GREAT!!!! Maybe some day I will have to try to do my binding correctly! It looks great!
I bet you had a blast last night at Julie's. She is so sweet, and I saw Jen's pictures of Julie, the sock monkey girl. How cute!!!!
Congratulations on learning the new binding method. I wish I lived closer so I could go with your gals on all your fun quilting adventures!
Once I know that I have it down, I'll post a tutorial!!
Sure sounds like you had a great time. My mom used to work in a quilt store years ago when I was a child, she had plenty of practice so she showed me how to do my binding. After awhile I got it down.
Kristie
Good luck with the binding! And your costumes sound ingenious!! I'm impressed!
Post a Comment