Today was a really odd Monday. Of course as usual I didn't want to get up and go to work. I had done so much on the weekend I felt like I needed a day to relax but off I went. I wasn't at work for 15 minutes when one of the guys from the plant ran into the office yelling for me to call 911 we'd had an accident. I'm on our first response team so once I got out of him what had happened I called 911 and grabbed the first aid kit and went running. We have a large what they call "scale" room where the tankers back in and unload the yeast. There is this ladder system about 15 to 20 feet in the air that when extended it goes out over the tanker so the operator can use it as a platform for hooking up the hoses that empty the truck. Apparently water was leaking so one of our men, Ed, went up the ladder and pushed the extension part out and the next thing they knew one of the other men watched him fall to the floor below. Let me tell you when I came running through that door I had no idea what I was going to find but I was very gr eatful that two other responders were already there helping him. What I saw really shook me up. My job then was to stand outside the in the driveway to flag down the fire department. It seemed like it took forever for them to get there but in reality it was under 5 minutes. Within about 20 minutes of him falling they had him on the back board, huge neck brace on him and were transporting him to Froedert Hospitals Trauma Center. We got word a couple of hours later that he was in ICU but he was stable. Apparently when he fell he landed on his side and instantly rolled smashing the back of his head on the concrete and breaking his arm. I dont' mean to be graphic but a head wound is an awfully bloody affair. He'll be hospitalized for about 3 days but so far he's doing good.
So, my thought for the day is for everyone if you go to work please be careful and if you stay at home please be careful. Accidents occur all the time and we always think it won't happen to us.
Hugs to all
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh that sounds just awful!! I wouldn't be able to be on the First Response Team. I get nauseous at the sight of my own blood when I have an accident! :(
wow, you really had an experience yesterday. It's great that you are a first responder and can take initiative to get the help that is needed immediately.
Wow, what a way to start the day...and Week! I'd say you did a good job, and if you weren't awake then, I bet it didn't take long for you to wake up after that! I'm glad Ed is going to be ok. Hugs to you too....Michelle
Don't you just hate days like that??? I sure hope he gets okay, that is so terrible. I bet you were a nervous wreck. Try to relax and take it easy for a while.
Kristie
Ok, I figured it out; I didn't have your new rss feed in my bloglines. DUH!! OMG, I still can't believe all that happened. I think I'm cringing more from reading it than I did when you told me about it. THanks for coming over and helping me get past my bargello fear.
Post a Comment